CLOSES: Open Until Filled. First round of interviews anticipated mid June.
STARTING RATE: $18.67 - $20.40 DOE
NOTE: Only candidates with facilities maintenance experience will be considered. No phone call please.
Under direct supervision, performs a variety of work in the construction, modification, maintenance, and repair of agency infrastructure, facilities, and related installations, including machinery, equipment, physical structures, and heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC), plumbing and electrical systems; uses and operates a variety of manual and power tools and light to heavy power driven equipment; and performs related work as required.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth.
- Inspects/repairs assigned agency infrastructure for safety issues, structural integrity, and possible future work projects and programs, and appropriately marks areas that need to be repaired.
- Tests machinery and equipment; checks machines for unusual sounds, leaks, or other malfunctions and discusses machine operation variations with supervisor or other maintenance workers to diagnose problem or repair machine; dismantles defective machines and equipment and installs new or repaired parts; cleans and lubricates shafts, bearings, gears, and other parts of machinery; maintains HVAC and plumbing systems, and related equipment and structures.
- Performs industrial cleaning and shop keeping duties, light carpentry, painting, electrical and other facility maintenance tasks, as required.
- Sets up and operates machine tools such as grinders, drills, power saws, planers, plumbing apparatus, and various hand tools in accordance with safety rules and accepted operating practices; inspects tools and equipment on regular basis to ensure operational safety; attends various training sessions to acquire the skills necessary to operate all types of tools and equipment used.
- Fabricates and repairs counters, benches, partitions, and other wooden structures.
- Uses power and hand tools to perform construction, repair, and maintenance of buildings, facilities, and equipment.
- Reads plans and performs work for new construction and/or remodeling projects including electrical, gas, and mechanical systems; plumbing; roofing; and painting.
- Learns to and assists in maintaining airfield lighting systems and assists in the inspection and repair of generator systems.
- Operates specialized vehicles and a variety of light, medium, and heavy equipment related to the construction, maintenance, and repair of facilities.
- Observes safe work methods and makes appropriate use of related safety equipment as required.
- Maintains public facilities, shop areas, storage sites, and other work areas in a clean and orderly condition, including securing equipment at the close of the workday.
- Installs street barricades and cones and controls traffic around work sites and special events to ensure safe conditions for the general public and agency workers.
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions.
- Maintains accurate logs and records of work performed and materials and equipment used.
- Responds to after-hours emergencies.
- May provide temporary supervision of Work Release Personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade and no less than two (2) years of experience in construction, maintenance, and/or repair of facilities, systems, and appurtenances, and/or training in the use of hand and power tools and equipment.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver’s License by time of appointment.
- Negative screen for all substances deemed illegal by the Federal Government required
- Background will be conducted